5.19.2011

Mothering (part 3)

I thought I would write a little about each of the resources (from part 2) that I used and what they taught me.

 Ashley, Lauren, Rachel, and Kacey (1990)

After Florence (Steve’s mom) died, I read the Bible. A lot! This was the beginning of my habit of reading through the Bible every year.  I can say that beginning in 1994, I have read through the Bible every year.  An invaluable-- precious above estimation -- habit.

I also began writing out scripture. For my brain type, this cemented Scripture further. When Moses predicted that Israel would want a king, he gave some guidelines in Deuteronomy 17:14-20. The part I took to heart:

“Now it shall come about when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests.

And it shall be with him, and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statues."

What could I learn by writing and reading?  I wanted to find out.


Ashley, Rachel, Lauren, and Kacey (end of 1992)


Trusting God
Even When Life Hurts
By Jerry Bridges

I started this study the summer of 1993. Jan Batten went through it with me.  She was a busy mama as well but she set aside the time to disciple me. I will be forever grateful and we are still friends to this day. I love you, Jan.

I learned several things through this study.

“God always has a purpose for the grief He brings or allows to come into our lives.  Most often we do not know what that purpose is, but it is enough to know that His infinite wisdom and perfect love have determined that the particular sorrow is best for us.  God never wastes pain.” Page 102

“Calvary is the one objective, absolute, irrefutable proof of God’s love for us.” Page 138

“. . . as Matthew Henry observed when commenting on Zephaniah 3:17, ‘The great God not only loves His saints, but he loves to love them.’” Page 142


I think I will stop there and talk about the other two books in my next post. This last picture is for you, Kacey!


my brother, Jim and me  (1964)

Happy laughing, you all!

Jodi

1 comment:

KC said...

love it, love it, love it, Mama! {smile} The picture at the end is priceless! The look on your little face reminds me oh so much of my Ellie girl. Fun!